5 Days Chogoria Route Down Naro Moru route
Pack camping gear and supplies to strike out west up this long but spectacular approach through the deep chasm of gorge valley.
Day 1: Nairobi/Chogoria
Leave Nairobi at 8am to Chogoria town for lunch and afternoon leisure walk in the town to acclimatize. Dinner and overnight at Chogoria Transit Motel, 2000m, L,D.
Day 2: Chogoria/Mount Meru Bandas – 5-6hrs, 32km, 950m ascent
This is a long day along dirt road through the forest although the conditions under foot aren’t strenuous. You may opt to use a 4×4 to reach the bandas as sometimes the road is impassable, 2950m. Dinner and overnight at Mt. Meru Bandas, B, L, D
Day 3: Chogoria Bandas/Mintos Hut – 6-7 hrs, 21km, 1,280m ascent
After breakfast follow the track through giant heather and forest up to Chogoria road head from where the path drops to cross a stream then follows the broad ridge to the east of the gorges valley to reach Mintos Hut, 4200m. Dinner and overnight at Mintos Hut, B, L, D
Day 4: Mintos/Point Lenana/Met Station – 11-12 hrs, 29km, 785m ascent/1985m descent
Leave shortly after midnight at 2am towards the main peaks and divide after an hour, above a flat green area at the head of the valley known as temple fields, arriving at point Lenana at 6:30am. After taking photographs, descend to Mackinders for breakfast and continue down to Met Station at 3000m for dinner and overnight rest, B,L,D
Day 5: Met Station/Naromoru/Nairobi – 3hrs, 9km, 400m descent
After breakfast, descend through the rainforest which is 9km to Naromoru Park Gate at 2,600m where you will connect with your transport back to Nairobi, B,L
NOTE: You may opt to spend the night at Mackinders Camp and then on to Met station and lastly descend for a transfer back to Nairobi. This will require an extra day (6 days) to complete.
Included in the price:
• Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation
• Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
• Full board accommodation whilst on the trek. Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
• Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary
• All park entrance fees to include government taxes
• Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
• Start and finish Nairobi
• Treated water on the trek.
• On completion, successful climb Certificate
• Laundry, sleeping bags, beverages/Drinks, accommodation before the trek and climbing gears
• International flights
• Visas to Kenya
• Items of personal nature
• Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary